Can I cancel my credit card charge for subpar work done by a contractor who has not finished the work?

Asked on Apr 24th, 2016 on Construction Law - Pennsylvania
More details to this question:
We hired a contractor to do concrete pointing and concrete work. He said it was $1500. on the contract. I charged on my credit card $500. as a down payment. Two of his family members did most of the work; a week later he said it was a remainder of $2880. and included a surcharge of $23. for charging my $500. He said labor was also $50. pr hr for each worker. It felt like a bait and switch; I explained what was originally agreed and signed. I got confused and charged the rest on the spot. I also just had surgery and was on heavy pain medication when I did this. He was to come back that Mon. Since then, it's rained; concrete has been falling out from the pointing; other stuff & didn't finish the job. We called a few times; he said he was coming out and that I owed him a $100. for a surcharge for charging the $2880. He did not show. I did take pictures. I had another contractor come out and it's going to cost more than what I paid to correct the subpar work. I did a search on the PA
Answered on May 05th, 2016 at 6:42 AM
The danger if you do that is it could possibly be turned in to the police for fraud/theft of services.  You might call your credit card company and see if they offer any dispute resolution process.  You may have certain options available to you under the Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act.  If the work done falls under that Act or under the Door-to-Door Sales Act, your contract has to contain certain provisions.  It is not unusual for contractors to not comply with those provisions and it may give you a nifty "out" of the contract and option to demand all of your money back. Take the contract to an attorney familiar with the Act and see what remedies you have. 

I recommend that you seek out a local attorney for a more in depth discussion of the matter. I do not recommend that you take any action steps without such a consult. Act quickly because by waiting, you may lose certain rights and remedies available to you.

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters