> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Construction Law > Can I sell my house which has a Mechanic Lien not enforced after 3 months ? If not ,what should I do ?

Can I sell my house which has a Mechanic Lien not enforced after 3 months ? If not ,what should I do ?

2 Answers. Asked on Jun 14th, 2016 on Construction Law - California
More details to this question:
Answers Showing 2 out of 2
Answered on Jul 07th, 2016 at 9:54 AM

You have a stale lien issue. You can always sell the house but a title insurer might not write insurance on it unless the lien is removed.  If you are working with a realtor ask him or her to contact a title company, get a preliminary title report, and see whether the insurer would provide insurance for the title with a stale lien on title.  It may be necessary to speak with a title officer. 

If there is an issue, you must give the contractor a written notice to remove the lien in a format and sent in a manner that is specified in the Civil Code.  If the contractor refuses to release the lien within ten days after notice is deemed received you can file a petition to expunge the lien and recover attorneys fees and costs from the contractor if you win. 

I can handle this issue for you.  It is a single hearing that is supposed to be heard within 30 days of case filing.  There are some procedural and jurisdictional requirements to comply with before the case can be filed. 

Adam S. Warshaw, Burbank CA; this answer is not legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Report Abuse
Answered on Jun 15th, 2016 at 4:57 AM

You can list your home for sale and the real estate agent will get a listing preliminary title report to see whether the mechanic's lien has been removed for failure to follow up with a lawsuit.

Report Abuse
Construction Law
From zoning issues to negotiating construction contracts and from mechanics liens to defects and delays, construction law requires attorneys to have a range of experience and knowledge in a host of areas necessary to guide projects from inception to completion. Whether you're involved in a private project or a public works project, whether your company operates in the construction industry or you're a client who wants something built, a construction law firm can advise and consult with you throughout the project, helping to ensure you have the necessary legal protections in your contracts, assisting you on zoning and permitting issues, and working to resolve any disputes that arise.
Have an Construction Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

315 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

220 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

180 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

103 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

65 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

63 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums